1 – Computer (Mac or Windows)
1 – Connection to the Internet
1 – Web Browser
- In your web browser, go to WordPress.com – http://wordpress.com
- You should see the sign-up screen. Click the button that says Create Website.
- You are first asked to choose a theme. You can pick one or click the Skip button at the bottom of the page.
- On the next screen, enter a name for your domain. If you want the free account, it needs to be in the form of nameofsite.wordpress.com. You can choose a new domain, but you’ll need to pay for it.
- Click the Select button next to your free domain name.
- On the “Pick a plan that’s right for you” page, click the button Select Free Plan. You can upgrade to a premium plan any time after signing up, if you wish to do so.
- On the “Create your account” page, type in your email address and then a password to use for your WordPress.com account.
- Click the Create My Account button.
- In a few seconds your account will be created and you’ll be directed to your account “start” page.
- You’ll need to check your email account for an activation/verification email. Click on the Confirm Email Address button in that email. You may now use your new website, and use the features of your WordPress.com account.